Sunday, August 29, 2010

28 Aug 2010

Lynne continues with a busy schedule as she recovers from the aggressive brain surgery six weeks ago. The recovery is slow but progress is being made. The physical and occupational therapy is becoming more strenuous so she is very sore after the sessions. She was scheduled for an occupational therapy session today but I had to cancel because she could barely get her eyes open when I tried to awaken her. She did manage to get up for lunch but wanted to rest about two hours later and she is still sleeping - four hours so far.

Our air conditioning went out Tuesday evening. I became aware of the problem just shortly after a call from a solicitor offering service for the same. I told them I had someone who takes care of the systems and hung up. Not ten minutes later Jessica walks into the front room and said "why is it so hot in here?" I told her I guess it's time to call that someone who takes care of the systems. Luckily, the house has two units so we slept in the guest room.

Kirk, from Croffoot Heating and Air Conditioning, called at 6:30 the next morning stating he was on his way to take a look at the malfunctioning unit. After a brief description of the situation, he believed the motor starter capacitor was bad. He opened the unit and discovered a bad ________; you guessed it - motor starter capacitor. In nothing flat, we regained a reprieve from the Arizona summer.

Lynne and I met with her oncologist this week. The office is seeking approval from the insurance company, so we expect a call within a couple of business days to schedule an appointment for Lynne's continued chemotherapy. The BCNU is administered intravenously in two separate doses, once for two consecutive days then repeated every six weeks. According to my research, most people tolerate BCNU fairly well with minimal nausea and other side-effects. I am hoping that Lynne tolerates the BCNU treatment with minimal side-effects, as she demonstrated high sensitively to Temodar, a previous chemotherapy drug. Existing therapies for glioblastoma multiform (GBM) are palliative so we will continue regular MRI scans to monitor the state of the cancer.

As always, Lynne and I appreciate your prayers, thoughts, and cards. We also appreciate those who have shared meals with us and supplied Lynne with the McDonald's Carmel Fraps and other treats over the last few weeks.

Regards,
Darryl

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please give eachother BIG hugs for me and tell my darlin' sister in Jesus that I look forward to an extended pajama party if need be, with Mickey D Carmel Frappes, of course :-)

Praying God's blessings upon you and each in your loving family.

Anonymous said...

Darryl,

Thanks once again for the very informative post. We are so thankful to hear of the ongoing therapy and the progress that is being made. Thoughts and prayers continue to our Father in your behalf. Love you both!
Oleta